Monday, November 8, 2010

Green Initiative for Greener Schools

Trashcan in the shape of a dolphin, by the bay...Image via WikipediaBy Tina L Douglas

I've always believed that everyone has the capacity to make a difference not only to themselves but to other people's lives as well. I am a firm believer that if I want to make things change for me, I must not wait for other people to establish the change but I have to work hard to achieve it. After watching a couple of documentaries about global warming and how our everyday activities create an impact to our environment, I eventually realized that if I want my child to live a better life, then I should start now. It does not have to be anything great, it just have to be something that is done out of love.

I tried to research on anything that I can read about being green. I wanted my child to live in a "green environment" where everything that he will do and eat does not threaten the existence of any living thing, even man's. I obviously started with our house and I've made a couple of renovations. My next target is his school since that's where he spends most of his time other than our home. After two weeks of reading materials from the internet and the local library, I came up with a couple of things that I will propose in the next parent's meeting in school.

1. Propose to create a policy that will encourage organizers of school events (student government, organizations, classes, etc) to use only reusable plates, cups and glasses. If the party is for younger kids and you can't have glasses, then materials made from compostable materials will do. I've searched online for companies that provide these compostable materials and I've also searched in our locality where these materials are available.

2. Propose to use online fax services instead of traditional faxing methods. Online fax saves a lot of paper and the school could save a lot from fax papers, inks and toners. No additional phone lines needed and all computers around campus can be transformed into fax machines. It can save a lot of paper and it can save on a lot of energy.

3. Propose to have large composting bins all over the campus. They should be clearly visible (possibly in vibrant colors) and it should have labels on it so that students will know where to put biodegradable and non-biodegradable trash. For younger students, pictures of which are biodegradable and which are not should be posted on appropriate bins so that children will be able to identify the garbage bins properly.

4. Propose to have students participate in garbage audits where students will be able to see for themselves the things the school throws away at the end of the day. Garbage should be segregated and weighed. After which, the students will be asked to brainstorm on ways on how garbage disposal can be reduced. When possible, put into action the children's ideas so that they will feel empowered and that they will more likely participate in their own program.

Tina L. Douglas writes about online fax and identity theft most of the time. It's because of her passion to save nature from danger and losing itself. For her, using online fax means a paperless environment and less hazard for nature.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tina_L_Douglas
http://EzineArticles.com/?Green-Initiative-for-Greener-Schools&id=4945462

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment